Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What I have learned

I'm in India now taking a two and a half week break from Armenia, writing this at an internet cafe in Chennai where I'm going to a friend's wedding.  Traveling through India has given me a chance to reflect on what I've learned in the last year and a half in Armenia.  Although the countries are vastly different, many of the ways of life are similar.

I've learned to pack the clothes I'll need for three weeks worth of relaxed and dressy occasions in climates freezing and tropical.  Then I've learned how to repack that backpack into an effective daypack.  I've learned which combination of flashlights, multitools, cell phone chargers, water purification tabs, medicines, toiletries, heatpacks and towels will be most useful and minimal in weight.

I've learned how to find a good prepaid SIM card with a data plan in a foreign country (Go to a guy on the street, not an official phone store.  Stick with him until everything works.)

I've learned to be a pretty fair shake a negotiating prices, and have evolved excellent technique at taking taxis.  (Find out what the fare should be from a local, don't negotiate beforehand, when you arrive, step out of the taxi and pay the correct fare.  If possible, get a local to give the taxi driver directions.)

I've learned what to rely on locals for, and what not to rely on them for.  Many of the things they believe impossible are merely uncomfortable or unusual. 

I've learned to find local transport routes, food and places to shop.

I've learned to conduct conversations necessary to transfer information without either of the parties speaking the same language.

I've developed sang froid for traffic near-misses that used to stop my heart when riding in buses.  I've developed an apostolic compulsion for wearing seatbelts in taxis.  (See October 2010)

I've learned when that situations requiring direct, forceful action are rare.  Far more common are situations where waiting and watching are required.  Standing around munching on the local munching nut (sunflower seeds, pomegranates, betel) can often yield excellent results. When direct, forceful action is required, I've learned to be direct and forceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment